Tuesday, March 04, 2008

House Hunting: A Retrospective

Well, it's been over a year since E and I started our little house hunt. Can you believe it? This week, I thought we'd take a look back at all the properties on which E & I made offers. Here's the first one (click on link to see all the photos).

It was a cute little house in Woodland Hills. E hated Woodland Hills. HATED. But it was close to where I was working at the time and it was on a really big lot on a pretty tree-lined street and a stones throw from the Gelson's Calabasis shopping center (convenient!). As I recall, we bid about $630k and it sold for $679k (but today, Zillow says it's worth $610k).

Here's Zillow's value graph showing the decline since last sale:

On the whole, I have to say I'm glad we didn't get this house. It was too far away and it was a bit too small. Tune in tomorrow for House Number The Second.

2 comments:

ProblemWithCaring said...

I saved every email of all the listings my realtor sent me over the course of my house hunting.

After a week like the one I had this week (http://tinyurl.com/ysj5q8 ), there is nothing I enjoy more than to google those houses and using redfin.com, propertyshark and zillow figure out what it sold for, what its current listing price is, and whether the owner is still current.

After which, I feel vindicated, smugly-smart and entirely self-satisfied, i.e. Back to my natural state.

And all is again right in the world. Well, not really. But it feels like it.

Anonymous said...

I remember when a real estate broker was trying to convince me to buy a "fixer" in woodland hills for $750k. She kept telling me what "a great find" the house was. Whew! I'm lucky I didn't listen. The house is probably worth mid-500k right now.