Monday, December 24, 2007

Honeybaked Ham: The Skinny

So! My parents insisted that there be a ham for their Christmas dinner. So I did what any good daughter would do and got a Honeybaked Ham (I have a day job, I cannot be preparing hams). But y'all, the store was crowded and I did not ask questions and then I realized... ham probably needs to be heated. How does one do this? So I did what anybody in my situation would do... Google! And guess what y'all? Honeybaked hams should not be re-heated. Nope. Check it out:

Debbie Domer, director of marketing for Honey Baked Ham, says: “The ham has already been fully cooked and smoked for up to 24 hours,” she explains. “It’s very delicate, so we recommend bringing it out (of the fridge) about 30 minutes before serving so it will come to room temperature.” Not only can heating a Honey Baked Ham dry it out, it can turn that signature, crunchy honey coating into mush, Domer says.

The 50-year-old company still sells more hams at Christmas, but Easter is the second-biggest time of year, Domer says. And if you’re wondering, the Southern United States is the country’s biggest consumer of hams. Honey Baked Ham is well known for its honey glaze and its precut “spiral sliced” hams, which the company says makes for easy serving. But there are lots of other places to buy a ham in town. And you don’t necessarily need a spiral cut to enjoy some of that falling-off-the-bone hammy goodness.

3 comments:

Chief Family Officer said...

Good to know about Honeybaked Hams. BTW, I've had many a ham in my life and the only one that compares to Honeybaked is the one my mom used to make when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

you should have went to costco. they have great hams and a glaze to go over it when baking.....

Kate said...

For the record, that ham was fan-freaking-tastic!