Friday, August 10, 2007

Take Atwater, for example.

This morning I was perusing California Housing Forecast and I came across a Zillow graph of property values in Atwater, California (Hello, Atwater! I've seen you lurking on the site). The rest of you may be wondering: where's Atwater? Well, it's kind of in the middle of the state (click map to enlarge).


Anyhoo, the point is that this Zillow market graph for Atwater shows how home values are doing over there:

Yes, People. This is in California. And, yes, that is a very steep decline. To put it in perspective, let's look at the 10 year graph:

I realize that Atwater is a very different market than Los Angeles. But it's still in California. Could the Los Angeles graph dump as sharply? Hmmmm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, good ol Atwater.

I was stationed there in the early 90s (the now-closed Castle AFB)and found it interesting that the prices had even gone up as high as they did. Sorry Atwaterians but outside of being an exit on Hwy. 99 the town has no redeeming qualities.
It is a good indicator of were the market in the state may be heading.
Keep it up Kate. I'm a California expatriate in Atlanta and enjoy your blog. The realtors are sweating. Keep bringing the heat.

Eric-too lazy to create an account

Kate said...

Dear Lazy Eric :-)

Thanks for reading from Atlanta! I can't believe that anybody that far away would care about tract houses in Sherman Oaks, but I am glad to have you along for the ride.

Indeed, the local Realtors are not loving me these days. Luckily, I am not in the market for new friends.

Cheers!

Patient Renter said...

"Could the Los Angeles graph dump as sharply?"

Yes.

Anonymous said...

Glad to be here Kate! You're on my lil' radar.

I have a good friend that lives in Winnetka who just purchased a home about 2 years ago and I use to get bused to Canoga Park (Justice St. Elem.) when I was in the 6th grade (I was "commuting" from 35th and Normandie to the West Valley every day for a school year), thus my small ties to the Valley.

Along with that every stinkin' person I love still lives in So. California so I'm kinda concerned about the goings-on in the market.

You and Peter Viles keep me informed and humored (you humor me; Pete, not so much).

Lazy Eric