Monday, March 05, 2007

Housing OCD (Y1/M11/D5)

I am having major anxiety about the response to our bid. Seriously, I have mental problems. How else can you explain the fact that I've run through approximately 50 counter offer scenarios before the poor seller has even had a chance to respond?

You think I'm kidding about being a total nut job? I am not. Consider these additional facts: E and I went by the open house on Sunday just to get a more solid idea of what work is needed on the home and when I went into the master bedroom there was a woman with a measuring tape measuring the bed. First off, who doesn't know that queen-sized beds all have the same dimensions? But anyway, I soon believed that this woman was the other bidder on the house. And it took every ounce of self control for me to not attempt to talk her out of buying this house. (For the record, I managed to not say a word to her).

But if she needs to measure a queen-sized bed, I doubt very much that she knows what it costs to replace original 1928 paper-wrapped electrical wiring throughout the house. I doubt very much that she realizes window replacement costs about $1,000 per window and there are no less than 9 to replace. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, this house has a flat roof in the back half of the house; that's going to bring some problems. I mean, I know what I'm getting into here and I don't need to be bidding against some silly woman who has no idea what this house is really worth because she has no idea what the renovations will cost. She probably won't even think of doing a sewer cam, for god's sake! Madness!

So, as you can see, I've worked myself into quite a lather based on nothing more than: (1) somebody else has made on offer on the same house as us; and (2) some girl brought a measuring tape to the open house so she could measure a queen sized bed. Yeah. Apparently that's all it takes to send me over the edge.

Anyway, it's T minus 2 hours until we are scheduled to get a response. I should probably lie down until it's over. But I don't think my boss will be pleased to come in here and find me pulling a Scarlett O'Hara.

UPDATE: So my agent called me at two o'clock (two hours after my offer was set to expire) to say that now the seller has four offers and won't be reviewing any until tonight (WTF? Is it 2004 or something?). The seller may counter some offers she may counter all offers, it's undetermined. If we don't get this house, I think I will just deal with listing agents directly from here on out. I have access to the MLS, I can write my own offers (it's just a fill-in form, it's not my first time buying a house, and I am an attorney after all). And at the end of the day, I think the listing agent will push through the offer that gives him the biggest commission (and that's always gonna be the dual-agent offer). I guess I'll have more news tomorrow. And thanks, Zay! I do need to breathe.

1 comment:

Zay said...

try not to forget to breath. :)